A Free Online Service
Did you know that there are over 2,000 federal, state and private benefits programs available to help seniors but many people don’t know these programs exist or how they can apply. The National Council on Aging has set up a free online screening tool at BenefitsCheckUp.org that can quickly help you determine if someone qualifies for any services or resources. Any of these benefits will be for adults over 55 who need assistance paying for medications, health care, utilities, food, housing, in-home services, transportation and more.
Before you begin this process for yourself or someone you are caring for make sure that you have the following information at hand:
- ZIP code
- Date of birth
- Type of residence (house, apartment, or mobile home)
- Veteran status for self and spouse
- Estimates of current expenses (such as mortgage/rent, utilities, out-of-pocket medical bills, expenses for caring for someone at home while the person works or goes to school, etc.)
- Current income and assets from all sources for self, spouse and others in the household
- Names of prescription medications
When you are ready, select the “Get Started Now” Button in the center of the web page to take a comprehensive screening or go below that area and select the options for assistance with medicine or food.
You will be asked a series of questions to help identify money saving benefits and once you have completed this online questionnaire you will get a customized report with information on any programs that may be a good match. Many of the programs can be applied for online or there will be a printable application form made available to you.
There truly are are so many resources available to assist people but oftentimes they just don’t know that they exist. Now you know one more resource, one more website that can benefit someone. Pass it on. You never know who might be helped.